Lima is the capital of Peru and the starting point of any adventure within the Andean country. The city is a wonderful mix of old and new. With the historic center of the city as an example of this, you will be able to appreciate old Spanish colonial houses, wonderful squares, and much more. You will also be able to visit the main government houses of Peru and some of the oldest churches in South America. The suburbs next to the different beaches are the home of the modern and the exclusive of Lima. Miraflores, for example, has some of the best restaurants in the world. So what is the best time to visit Lima, Peru? To answer this question, together with the experts from Machu Travel Peru we have prepared a small article. Dare to explore the city of Lima and discover when is the best time to make your trip.
All about the best time to visit Lima
- The best moment to visit
- The temperature in Lima
- Tourism in Lima
- Capital of gastronomy
- Alternative activities to enjoy
THE BEST MOMENT TO VISIT
Within Peru, there are four main seasons of which your trip will be very different depending on which one you choose. Even so, the best time to visit Lima will always depend a lot on your available time and what you want to do. Among them, we find Winter, Autumn, Spring, and Summer.
- Autumn in Lima runs from March to May. Within this season, mild temperatures and humidity combine to make the city feel warm. It hardly rains at all and makes autumn one of the busiest seasons for tourism. During these months you can find many things to do in Lima.
- Winter in Lima runs from June to August and has a much cooler climate. During the winter it is very unlikely to see rain. During these months there is growing tourism in which the most popular accommodations opt for an increase in costs. Since the rooms can be finished very quickly. During the winter in Lima, it is characteristic to see cloudy skies and encounter misty fog. Winter is a great time to experience some amazing festivals around the Plaza de Armas of Lima. Such as the Independence Day of Peru which is at the end of July.
- Spring in Lima takes place from September to November. The skies may continue to look gray but temperatures are starting to rise. You also don’t usually see significant rainfall. Spring is an ideal season to get to know the gastronomy of Peru. In September, the largest gastronomic festival in South America takes place. This festival bears the name of Mistura and is a must-see if you are in Lima during that month. Make sure to make room in the different tours in Peru for this excellent gastronomic fair.
- Finally, Summer in Lima runs from December to February. Summer in Lima is one of the best times to visit the capital. In this season you will be able to appreciate a perfect climate combining with clear blue skies and clear. During the summer there are wonderful sunsets on the coast to enjoy on the different beaches. Many people tend to vacation in Lima’s outdoor spas, so the city can feel a bit deserted. Even so, its beaches are incredible to enjoy. Stay in the many beautiful boutique hotels in Lima and make summer a magical one.
THE TEMPERATURE IN LIMA
Average temperatures in Lima vary little. Temperatures are generally pleasant, considering the humidity. Throughout the year you can enjoy a pleasant climate with very little probability of rain or snow. The Lima area is one of the most temperate compared to other tourist destinations around it. The best time to visit Lima can be done during its warmer months. The months of January, February, and March are special months to visit the beaches of Lima.
TOURISM IN LIMA
The busiest month for tourism in Lima is in May, followed by March and April. Prices for hotels and flights will be more expensive during these months, although you can save by buying well in advance. Tourists are unlikely to visit Lima in December. Those willing to visit at this time will likely find the month less expensive. So the best time to visit Lima, by consensus, would be during the Lima Winter. Besides, winter is known as the dry season in the Andean sectors of Peru.
CAPITAL OF GASTRONOMY
As mentioned above, Lima is the gastronomic capital of Peru and South America. No time is a bad time to experience the best restaurants in Lima of Peru. With three restaurants in the world’s top 50, Lima has a great mix of Peruvian and international food for you to try. Some of the best restaurants are in the beachside suburb of Miraflores. As a recommendation, you can try Astrid & Gastón and thus enjoy one of the best places in Lima. Keep in mind that a reservation is necessary, as well as in any of the most exclusive restaurants in Peru. But the true flavor of Lima is not only found in its distinguished and exclusive restaurants. You can find the distinguished flavor of Peru in any of its restaurants as well as in the different markets in Lima.
ALTERNATIVE ACTIVITIES TO ENJOY
While in Lima, try the Lima sightseeing tours. Usually, with only half a day you can see the historic center of Lima and other attractions around it. One of the best things to appreciate is the Main Square that has some historic buildings of great importance. You will be able to appreciate the Government Palace, a great place to see the changing of the guard. A must-see is the Monastery of San Francisco and the Catacombs that are located below the church. On a Lima sightseeing tour, you will visit the beachside suburbs of Miraflores and see the Larcomar shopping center. This has many restaurants, but what is special is the place that is built on the side of the cliffs by the sea. Barranco is another of the must-see districts to visit. It is considered as the district of artists in Lima. Beautiful buildings surround the Plaza de Barranco, and it is not difficult to find. Around it, there are incredible bars to enjoy delicious cocktails. Also, be sure to visit the different museums in Lima like the Lima art museum. But if you are going to visit the different museums, be sure to visit the Larco Museum.
“LET’S FIND SOME BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO GET LOST.”
In general, the best time to visit Lima will depend a lot on your available time and what you are looking to visit. If you are looking to visit Machu Picchu but before enjoying the Peruvian capital, winter may be the best option. But if you are looking to get to know the beautiful city of Lima in-depth, summer and spring are ideal. Whatever your decision, you will have an exemplary time in Lima. We hope we have been of help together with the experts of Machu Travel Peru. Remember that you can consult about our tours with our team of advisers. They will be happy to help you fulfill the trip of your dreams.