lake titicaca map

First and foremost, what country is Lake Titicaca located in? Lake Titicaca is located in Latin America, right between the border of Bolivia and Peru. And the Lake Titicaca map can be thoroughly explored with an interactive online map that shows both the exact location of Lake Titicaca and its surroundings. In the interactive maps that you will find online, you will be able to see both the surroundings of the Lake itself and the main islands it contains. And when we refer to Lake Titicaca we mean the highest navigable lake in the world. It stands at an astonishing 12,500 feet, that is, a little over 3,800 meters above sea level. And together with the Machu Travel Peru team we have prepared a small article about the Lake Titicaca map. Know in-depth everything you need to know about this wonderful place.

Everything you need to know about the Lake Titicaca map

LAKE TITICACA GEOGRAPHY

lake titicaca map geography

What is so special about Lake Titicaca? We believe that the most special thing about this lake is its way of offering wonderful natural sites surrounded by a unique culture. A great majority of Lake Titicaca is within the Peruvian territory, specifically 60%. Precisely the western part of the lake is within the Puno region. While the remaining 40% of the lake is within Bolivia. This would be the eastern part of the lake and is located in the department of La Paz. While the shores of the Lake and its surface is located about 3 meters above the exit in the border city of Desaguadero.

Now, the Lake itself sits right in the northern stretch of a dead-end basin to the Ocean, right in the middle of the Altiplano of the Peruvian Andes. The Lake Titicaca Reserve was created in 1978 with the function of preserving the flora and fauna along with the distinguished landscapes of the region. And being able to enjoy a tour from Machu Picchu to Lake Titicaca is usually one of the most coveted adventures by travelers.

And where is Lake Titicaca on the South America map? This wonderful destination is the natural border between Peru and Bolivia. So it is a truly easy point to locate. The Lake Titicaca map is made up of two large basins that connect to the Strait of Tiquina. This strait is a few 800 meters wide at its smallest point. But the largest basin is called Lago Chucuito or Lago Grande. This has a depth of just 281 meters and an average depth of 135 meters. Now the other basin is much smaller and also shallower. It has a maximum depth of 40 meters and an average depth of 9 meters. This is known by the name of Wiñaymarka. There is no denying that visiting the Lake is one of the best things to do in Peru.

HYDROLOGY AND MAIN AFFLUENTS

lake titicaca map hidrology

Regarding the main sources of the Lake Titicaca map, it can be said that it has about 25 tributaries that feed Lake Titicaca. And of these 25 only about 5 are relevant river systems. These are known as Suchez, Huancane, Llave, Coata and Ramis. Of these Ramis is the largest system of all, since it drains about two-fifths of the entire Lake Titicaca basin. This system reaches the Lake Titicaca map to arrive in the northwest part. And despite the other tributaries and contributors, the lake has only one “outlet.” This exit would be the Desaguadero River, which goes to Poopo Lake in the south, right in the region of Bolivia.

Now, in very humid conditions, the waters of the Lake go towards the Salinas to form the river system known as Titicaca-Desaguadero-Poopo-Salinas. This has an area of ​​no more than 144,000 km2. And the Desaguadero River empties only 5% of the waters of Lake Titicaca. While the other 95% remaining is lost due to evaporation of the water. In a guided tour you will be able to know the wonderful natural landscapes and the Lake Titicaca meaning.

Regarding its average temperatures, the surface of the Lake oscillates between 14 and 10 º C. This is due to the sources of cold water and the strong wind that reaches the map of Lake Titicaca. Winter takes place between the months of June and September, where the deep waters can oscillate between 11 and 10 ºC. As for Lake Titicaca, it is a lake that has only 1 season of free movement. It is the strong winds and the large amount of sunlight that evapotranspiration produces. And as for the analysis of the water, it is shown that it contains the presence and significant amounts of magnesium sulfate, calcium sulfate, sodium sulfate, and sodium chloride. Something that you cannot miss is a boat tour to Lake Titicaca.

LAKE ISLANDS

lake titicaca map islands

Now, as for the Lake Titicaca map, it is made up of a variety of islands. Both on the side that is in Peru and on the side that is in Bolivia. Isla del Sol is one of the largest islands in the Lake and it is located in the part of Bolivia. This island is known for having a somewhat mountainous, rocky, and hard terrain. About 800 families live on this island and work in traditional ways. Within the island, you can see approximately 180 Inca ruins. An island that is worth visiting.

The Island of the Moon is another of the Lake Titicaca islands to know within the Lake Titicaca map. It has a great variety of artifacts and historical sites. Where both the Mamakuna ruins and other sites of relevance are located. Now, Suriki Island is not as big as its sisters, but it is also located within Bolivia. An island that is known for its reed boats that continue to be manufactured to this day. And within Peru, you can see the floating islands of the Uros, some wonderful places to know in-depth. Where you will find a group of more than 40 islands made entirely of reeds that float around. These islands have become a great attraction due to the convivial tourism options.

On the Peruvian side, there is also the Island of Amantani, where about 10 communities with about 4000 inhabitants coexist. From these places, you can see two mountain peaks or hills with temples to know. And finally, you can get to know the Island of Taquile, an island that was a prison during colonial times. But today it stands out for its culture full of nuances that are reflected in artisan traditions. Today being able to visit the islands is one of the best things to do in Puno.

“THE STILL WATERS OF A LAKE REFLECT THE BEAUTY ALL AROUND IT. WHEN THE MIND IS STILL, THE BEAUTY OF THE SELF IS REFLECTED IN IT.”

As you will see, the map of the lake is made up of an incredible series of things. From wonderful natural landscapes to unique traditional cultures. And being able to know everything that this wonderful place offers is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. We hope this short article on the Lake Titicaca map has helped you. The Machu Travel Peru team knows very well what it can be to organize a trip to Peru, and that is why we want to help you with everything you need. Don’t miss out on this wonderful opportunity and start organizing right now. What are you waiting for? Check our different travel packages.

Peru has so much to offer, it can be hard to know where to start. With many years of experience in the tourism sector, Machu Travel Peru is happy to help with anything regarding your trip to Machu Picchu and any tours around it. Make your Machu Picchu experience an unforgettable one!