Machu Picchu, one of the new Wonders of the World. Many people dream of visiting this exciting place and to have the popular photography with the famous mountain. Here we will explain why this complex is considered that special and received the category of Wonder of the world.
SOME INFORMATION ABOUT MACHU PICCHU:
Some people consider that Machu Picchu was one of the main religious sanctuaries for the Inca Culture. This because it’s surrounded by temples, mountains, water channels and many sidewalks used for agriculture. This way, the Incan priests could get the food they needed and just focus on their religious tasks.
Some other people think that Machu Picchu was the palace for the Inca Pachacuteq, one of the most popular between the thirteen that ruled the reign.
All the Machu Picchu information say has been built on the upper side of an imposing mountain. Enormous stone blocks were used to make it. They were joined by impressive methods that modern architecture is still researching. It’s now considered as a Cultural Heritage of the world because it was an important political, religious and administrative center of the time.
Talking about recent facts, the complex was declared a Cultural and Natural Heritage of the world in 1983 by UNESCO. On the other hand, on July 7th, 2007, it has been declared one of the Seven Wonders of the World. This last was decided by millions of people worldwide through online voting. But, why did this place received this award?
WHY IT’S CONSIDERED A WONDER OF THE WORLD:
As we mentioned, some people think that this place was either a religious center or the summer resort of Pachacutec. In any case, this enormous and incredible place was designed with extreme attention to the details. It was a special place to be in the Incas times. It’s also like that now.
On the other hand, as we also mentioned, this citadel was made on the top of a mountain. This makes the construction even more impressive. They needed to go all the way up with the construction materials, which were enormous stone blocks. They had also to secure the supply of enough food and water as it’s believed that the priest, the virgins and the Inca spent their time there.
Another reason that gives Machu Picchu the category of a Wonder of the World is that it remained for almost 500 years as a lost city. Many explorers believed that this city existed, as well as other legends like El Dorado or Atlantis. But in this case, Machu Picchu, the hidden city, was discovered to the world!
The last reason we will explain is one of a kind panorama that you can have when you’re there. This landscape attracts millions of people each year to Peru and it’s what made people vote for it on the online voting we mentioned before.
TIPS FOR CLIMBING MACHU PICCHU:
Considering all the reasons that make Machu Picchu a worth place to visit, here we will leave some tips for climbing Machu Picchu.
- First, consider the best time to go to Machu Picchu. In general, it’s better to avoid the rainy season. This because you can find slippery roads and even some parts of the ruins can be closed. This season lasts from the end of December till the mid of March. But if you’re anyway coming during those months, please take into consideration that you have to be cautious when walking in the citadel and that you have to be prepared for the rain: bring a poncho and a change of clothes if it’s possible!
- Consider also that the temperature in Machu Picchu is usually pleasant. You won’t feel that hot or that cold. The minimum temperature is 6ºC but this is only during the nights in the wintertime and the maximum is 29.5ºC. So don’t take too many warm garments. Take layers of clothes with you as maybe during the morning you will be cold but when the sun rises, you will be glad to wear just a t-shirt.
- The mosquitoes can also be a problem, so be sure to use an organic repellent or if you have a light long-sleeve t-shirt take it with you.
- Take good walking shoes as the roads can be difficult in certain parts and that will allow you to explore more.
- Regarding the entrances, be sure to buy your tickets in advance. You can do it easily on the governmental web: https://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/inicio. Also, please consider that if you want to visit at 6 am, you should sleep in Aguas Calientes the day before so you will have the time to get the bus and take the most of your time there.
- It’s also good that you have your train tickets reserved beforehand. You can use Inca Rail or Peru Rail. You can also visit their websites and make your reservation.
MACHU PICCHU ITINERARY:
As many people know, hereon the Machu Picchu entrances are being sold for different and several schedules each day. If you want to be one of the first entering to the complex, we highly advise that you sleep in Aguas Calientes the previous night. This will give you enough time to take the bus towards the complex and to be on time on the citadel’s door.
If, on the other hand, you won’t sleep in Aguas Calientes the previous night, we advise buying a ticket to the 12 m turn or a later one. This has also some advantages because the afternoon turns use to be more empty. So if you want to take amazing pictures, maybe the afternoon time is the best for you.
Depending on what are you searching for, you can choose a different itinerary for your visit. Just try to organize everything ahead of time. We can always help you arrange a perfect Machu Picchu itinerary, just write to us and we will be happy to assist you!