To our valued clients.
The Ministry of Culture here in Cusco has passed new laws changing the way visits to Machu Picchu will work. Previously tourist were allowed to enter the Inca Citadel and stay all day on the one ticket, the new laws have changed this to include 2 entry turns per day. The first turn being 6 am to 12 pm, with 3000 tickets available, this including people finishing the Inca Trail and also those wishing to hike Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountain which are available in the morning, the second turn being 12 pm to 5.30 pm, with 2600 tickets available.
Groups will now be limited to a maximum of 20 people and now everybody will need to enter the gate with a licensed guide.
It is permitted to visit Machu Picchu twice in one day with the 2 entrance tickets, which remain at US $46 per adult.
The Peruvian government is enforcing these laws to protect the endangered heritage site from further damage caused by foot traffic and people who stray from the paths.
These rules are in effect from 01st July to 31st October 2017 and will be inforce also next year for the same dates. There will be a review of these new laws in 2 years.
Please also be aware of these new rules during your Machu Picchu tour. They will be also applied.
- Backpacks or bags that exceed 40x35x20 centimeters, will not be allowed to enter, lockers are available at the gate for large bags.
- You may not enter with food or utensils.
- You may not enter with illegal substances, alcohol or aerosols.
- You may not enter with umbrellas.
- You may not enter with camera tripods or selfie sticks.
- It is not permitted to enter with animals, expect for guide dogs.
- You may not enter with musical instruments.
- You may not enter with baby coaches, only backpacks that contain no metal.
- You may enter with sport shoes or walking shoes, no heals allowed.
- It is not permitted to enter with any type of gun.
- No metal walking sticks will be allowed.
- It is not permitted to walk or climb on any of the structures or walls in Machu Picchu.
- It is not permitted to remove or deface any of the structures at Machu Picchu.
- It is not permitted remove any flora or fauna from the site.
- It is not permitted to smoke whilst in the ruins.
- You may not feed the animals.
- You may not use drones or whatever other type of aircraft.
- You may not make films or documentaries without prior permission.
- You may not enter parts of the site that are off limits.
Machu Travel Peru.