If you are looking for destinations where you can feel the adrenaline and experience new sensations, then Huacachina will be a real pleasure. It is a perfect destination to complement your tour of the Andean country, especially if you plan to visit Nazca and Lima since it is just passing by on the way. Huacachina is a natural oasis, one of the only ones in South America, located a few kilometers from Ica. It is a perfect place to enjoy numerous activities and adventure tours, as well as offering one of the most impressive natural settings in Peru. For this reason, together with the travel experts of Machu Travel Peru, we have decided to prepare a small article about the impressive sand dunes in Huacachina.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE SAND DUNES IN HUACACHINA
- ABOUT HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
- WHAT TO DO AROUND THE SAND DUNES IN HUACACHINA
- HOW TO GET TO HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
- WHERE TO STAY WITHIN THE HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
- CERRO BLANCO, ONE OF THE BIGGEST SAND DUNES
ABOUT HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
The sand dunes in Huacachina and its natural oasis are increasingly popular places on the list of travelers seeking adventure. Huacachina is an oasis surrounded by the largest sand dunes in all of South America. Among the many attractions and activities that you can find in the Huacachina oasis, sandboarding and sand bugging are the most popular. Also, the small picturesque town that surrounds the natural lagoon is one of the best places to spend the night and enjoy a magical moment. This small town is not only a quintessential tourist hub, but it is also quite a relaxed and peaceful place. It is located just a few steps from Ica and getting there is quite easy. Without a doubt, Huacachina is where to go on vacation with friends.
WHAT TO DO AROUND THE SAND DUNES IN HUACACHINA
Despite being a fairly small town, you can enjoy a few activities. Around the sand dunes in Huacachina, you will find numerous ways to keep yourself entertained and busy. Among the different activities you can find the following:
- SANDBOARDING: Sandboarding is one of the most popular activities to enjoy in the sand dunes in Huacachina. Before embarking on this adrenaline rush, you must rent a board. Renting the boards costs only a few dollars and is quite affordable. You can choose to undertake this activity on your own or within a tour with a local agency. Before embarking on this adventure, be sure to hire a trusted travel company (recommended for your safety and comfort). Sandboarding is not unique in the surroundings of Ica, it is also one of the best things to do in Paracas.
- BUGGY TOUR: Every day during the afternoon the different buggy tours usually depart from the city. These cross huge sand dunes to travel an endless sand desert. Tours also usually include sandboarding as a complementary activity.
- CLIMB THE SAND DUNES: Dare to climb on your own the different sand dunes in Huacachina and experience the glorious sunsets. It is free and can be a great alternative after a buggy tour.
- PISCO TOUR: As if that weren’t enough, Huacachina is only about 10 minutes from Ica. Giving you the possibility to undertake a Pisco tour in one of the cities most recognized for its vineyards and national drinks. On the vineyard tours, you can learn the history and production of some of the most traditional beverages.
HOW TO GET TO HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
To appreciate the sand dunes in Huacachina in all its splendor, you can choose to take a bus. Huacachina is approximately five hours from Lima, while from Paracas it is only about one hour aboard. After enjoying the beautiful Peru beaches within Paracas, you can continue your tour of Peru in Huacachina. There is no public transport that goes directly to Huacachina, but you can get there by taxi from Ica.
WHERE TO STAY WITHIN THE HUACACHINA SAND DUNES
Around the sand dunes in Huacachina you will find numerous high-quality accommodations. Huacachina is generally busiest during the high season (June to August), causing hostels and hotels to be full and unavailable. Therefore, if you are looking to enjoy adventure holidays in Peru, it is recommended that you book in advance. It is highly recommended that you look for accommodation with a pool included because it is very hot in Huacachina.
CERRO BLANCO, ONE OF THE BIGGEST SAND DUNES
Cerro Blanco is located just about 15 kilometers (9 miles) east of Nazca, within the Nazca Valley to be more specific. It is also nicknamed the “Everest of the desert” and is considered one of the highest sand dunes in the world, boasting a height of about 2,080 meters above sea level. If you enjoy adrenaline, then a trip to Cerro Blanco is a guaranteed adventure. On many tours in Peru, this amazing journey is usually included.
“LIFE OFFERS YOU A THOUSAND CHANCES… ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TAKE ONE.”
We hope, together with Machu Travel Peru, to have encouraged you a little to enjoy the inexhaustible adventures that the Andean country offers. If you like, you can consult with our qualified advisers about how to start booking the different tours.