When it comes to traveling, we know that there are many and varied options. When it comes to Peru, we have many scenarios to marvel at, from cloud forests to intimidating mountains. And all these beautiful landscapes can be experienced on a train ride. And what better way to travel to the wonder of the world on a beautiful train journey? The train to Machu Picchu is a great opportunity to witness the landscape from another perspective while enjoying some comforts. That is why Machu Travel Peru will do its best to explain everything you need to know when you go there. Learn about the options and companies that can take you to this charming destination.
The most important aspects of the train to Machu Picchu
- Hike or train?
- There is no train I would not take
- Traveling is the healthiest addiction
- Peru Rail
- Inca Rail
HIKE OR TRAIN?
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the type of trip you want to experience. If you are with family and children, the best option is probably the train to Machu Picchu. It is a safer option and comfortable enough to experience the landscape from another perspective. But if you are with friends and looking for something more adventurous, then the hike is a great way to get there. Among the different hiking routes is the Inca Trail, the Salkantay Trek, and also other incredible Machu Picchu alternatives such as Choquequirao. Fortunately, Peru is a country where hiking trails abound. But if you are not the adventurous type, don’t worry, the train is available throughout the year. If you have plans to visit Machu Picchu, there are some recommendations. Before boarding your train, it is advisable to bring some supplies such as snacks or drinks. Travel services include food, but depending on your budget, the train service will be different.
THERE IS NO TRAIN I WOULD NOT TAKE
The train to Machu Picchu is one of the most popular ways to get to the Inca citadel. Trains run constantly throughout the day from different locations. You can leave from Cusco or Ollantaytambo. The truth is that between the different companies that offer the trip, there is not much difference. All offer similar amenities and services. Whether you get your Machu Picchu tickets from a tourist agent or yourself, you should know that there are different types of train tickets. From a more complete train service to a simpler one. It all depends on how you would like to live your adventure: from economic options to other luxury and exclusive ones. Whatever your decision, you can enjoy the amazing Inca citadel in an incredible way. Just keep in mind that it is important to make your Machu Picchu reservations in advance since they tend to run out quickly.
TRAVELING IS THE HEALTHIEST ADDICTION
When looking for ways to get to Machu Picchu we have two main options, the Inca Trail and the train to Machu Picchu. Both are spectacular and memorable ways to see the Inca citadel. One of the best things to do in Machu Picchu is to take the train. That is why we are going to explain all the different types of trains that you can choose for your trip. There are two major companies where you can board the train: Inca Rail and Peru Rail. They both have economical and luxury options. Both depart from different points towards Aguas Calientes, where we can go to the wonder of the world.
Peru Rail has several places to board your train. Among them are Cusco, Urubamba, and Ollantaytambo. Depending on your Machu Picchu tour or itinerary, you will be able to choose one of these departure locations. Peru Rail offers three classes of trains for foreigners and one for locals:
- EXPEDITION: This is the classic train to Machu Picchu. If you are on a low budget, this is a great option. It is a fairly comfortable and affordable train for its price. It doesn’t even have that many differences from the next train.
- VISTADOME: This is the average option. Quite accommodating and comfortable, it has panoramic windows to enjoy much more of the views that we will experience. It also has air conditioning, among other benefits.
- HIRAM BINGHAM: This is the luxury option offered by Peru Rail. It is one of the best experiences if you want to take advantage of your trip. Machu Picchu is an unparalleled experience in the life of every traveler and this is the best way to enjoy it. The interiors are elegantly decorated, it has a bar car, a kitchen car and even an observation car. A great opportunity to enjoy your trip to the fullest.
- LOCAL TRAIN: This is the train for locals and nationals. It is not very comfortable, but it is a very inexpensive option for Peruvians.
All trains depart from Ollantaytambo. The trains do not differ much from the previous ones and are excellent to enjoy the scenes of the landscapes. And you have the following train classes:
- MACHU PICCHU TRAIN: It is very convenient and comfortable for people looking for a balance in quality-price. It has tall and panoramic windows, accompanied by different delicious drinks. All this combined with the incredible landscapes to see makes it a good option.
- EXECUTIVE: This train is a fairly affordable option. You can choose from a variety of hot or cold drinks, nuts, and dried fruit. A great alternative to know the Inca citadel.
- FIRST CLASS: For passengers who demand quality service. Includes welcome cocktails, relaxing music, assorted snacks, chocolates, etc. Seats that include tables and different typical dishes accompanied by wine. An incredible option for those looking to enjoy the different tours in Peru.
- PRESIDENTIAL: Must be reserved in advance. You can rent a complete train car for yourself and eight other companions. It includes luxury services such as a bottle of cava, menus with delicious wines, and a bar to taste different drinks. This is a luxury service and can cost around $ 5,000 for the entire train car.
“LIFE IS A TRAIN, GET ON BOARD.”
So now that you know how to take the train to Machu Picchu, we hope you have an excellent time. We hope together with Machu Travel Peru to have been of great help. Don’t forget to take lots of photos and enjoy the present moment. Make your trip to Machu Picchu an unforgettable experience. If you have more questions about our tours, you can consult with our advisors.